Quality Assurance Manager Plant II Fresh (Days)
Ref ID: REF15344W
Department: Technical Services & Regulatory Control
Location: Livingston, CA
Employment Type: Full-time
Since our founding days back in 1939, we have always been committed to providing consumers with the highest-quality, best-tasting poultry products available. The hope is that our commitment to excellence, honesty, quality, service, and our people will shine through in everything we do.
We are always looking for talented individuals to join the Foster Farms team. We offer the experience of a large organization, but operate like a family business. More than half of our job openings are filled by internal promotion, and we encourage employees to gain a variety of experiences across different functional groups.Job Description
The FSQC manager works directly with processing plant operations shift manager and independently with limited oversight from FSQC manager to ensure compliance with Foster Farms, FSIS/USDA, and customer requirements on assigned shift. Directs, oversees, and implements the Food Safety and Product Quality (FSQC) programs for a specific Foster Farms food manufacturing site to ensure product safety, legality, and quality across multiple plant processes including first processing and second processing for both retail and food service operations. Responsible for the management and development of supervisory and/or hourly FSQC personnel to achieve departmental goals. This position is intended as developmental training for further FSQC Manager responsibilities. It involves tactical supervision of a large team of employees and FSQC programs, but also more strategic activities and independent decision-making than a Supervisor or Assistant Manager position. This position has the authority to release or retain product on hold for quality or regulatory concerns, thus sound judgment in rendering a product as wholesome or unwholesome is required.
- At assigned food manufacturing facility, responsible for the implementation, verification, and validation of Food Safety programs such as HACCP plans, SSOP compliance, ensuring adherence with audit standards such as BRC and managing regulatory relationship with local USDA/FSIS.
- Ensure operations management team and hourly employees are compliant with food safety and quality procedures. This includes direct observation of processes, as well as training as needed of production, sanitation, maintenance and quality control groups.
- Manage the implementation, maintenance, evaluation, and enforcement of FSIS/USDA regulations, as well as corporate programs (pest control, allergen, product quality). These monitoring programs have both legal (FSIS requirements) and customer implications.
- Pursuant to monitoring results, address processing, sanitation and maintenance-related issues in a timely manner via FSQC/Operations combined approach.
- This position is authorized to place non-conforming product on FSQC hold if it does not meet Foster Farms standards, customer expectations, or legal requirements. In addition, this position has authority to render decisions regarding product disposition, including release or disposal of product.
- Hire and lead procedural, regulatory and food safety training for FSQC supervisors and hourly technicians to ensure high levels of competency, commitment and performance. Promote a food safety culture with FSQC supervisors and hourly employees. Additionally, manage same employees’ schedules and timecards to ensure adequate coverage, while minimizing overtime. When necessary, execute disciplinary action for undesirable performance.
- Work in conjunction with plant management staff to maintain a positive working relationship with in-plant FSIS/USDA personnel. This includes direct communications and meetings with FSIS to report non-compliance resolution, as well as Foster Farms response to trending concerns.
- Manage and improve the FSQC data reporting systems, communicating trends and root-cause analysis to senior management for deficiency resolution and process improvement.
- Actively participate in projects (FSQC or operations) and activities to modify, retrofit and improve performance from a food safety and/or quality perspective.
- Bachelors degree from a 4-year, accredited college or university, preferably in the area of animal science, food science or biological sciences
- Proficient use of Microsoft including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Requisite – 5 years of work experience in food processing environment with food safety/quality programs focus
- Previous experience with HACCP, SSOP programs, and/or FSIS food safety regulations is preferred.
- Detail oriented with analytical aptitude; exposure to Statistical Process Control is beneficial
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Bilingual in Spanish is preferred, but not required
- Ability to make decisions following hierarchical chain of command in regards to product disposition decisions
- Ability to render sound judgment regarding food safety risks and/or product quality defects
- Required – former supervisory experience or demonstrated potential to develop salaried supervisory employees
- Ability to work flexible hours
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Foster Farms is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities, Females, Veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Foster Farms participates in E-Verify during the hire process at all locations for all new employees.